You can apply via the UCAS website with the code 27FY.
Schools recruit and select their own trainees. Applicants will be assessed according to the following core skills and criteria:
Effective communication skills
Effective time management
Motivation to learn
Successful applicants will be invited to attend our interview process. The interview process will include a face-to-face interview, a group discussion with other interviewees and the opportunity to lead an activity with a group of children.
Professional skills tests
The professional skills tests for prospective teachers assess the core skills that teachers need to fulfil their professional role in schools, rather than the subject knowledge needed for teaching. This is to ensure all teachers are competent in numeracy and literacy, regardless of their specialism.
All current and prospective trainee teachers must pass the skills tests in numeracy and literacy before they can be recommended for the award of qualified teacher status (QTS).
The skills tests:
- are in addition to the GCSE grade C equivalence entry requirement
- are set in the context of the professional role of a teacher
- assess the use of real data and information which teachers are likely to encounter
- are computerised and can be taken at learndirect skills test approved test centres throughout the UK
- go through a stringent quality assurance procedure
- are extensively piloted and the performance of each test is regularly monitored
You are encouraged to register and sit the professional skills tests at the earliest opportunity, there is often a high level of demand, to ensure you can get slots at the test centre of their choice. In response to demand additional test slots are often released but cannot be guaranteed.
Use the DfE website to find out about the process of the skills tests, including how to book, cancel or reschedule a test, and how to make any special arrangements. Practise tests are also available here. You can also see the full list of skills test centres.
More information about the skills tests in the context of teacher training is available at Get into Teaching.